Where to travel post-COVID in 2022?
After the tourism train came to a sudden standstill in 2022, both travelers and tourism companies were thrown into uncertainty. Thankfully, 18 months later we’re starting to see a reemergence of travel as border controls begin to relax and more people are vaccinated ready for international travel.
At Alandis, we’ve been keeping an eye on worldwide travel plans, and travel agencies & tour operators with intelligent, well-thought out trip offerings. Here is our list of the best post-COVID trips and programs for 2022.
The effects of lockdown and travel restrictions are still being felt all over the world.
When travel first resumed it began hyper-locally due to restrictions and a lack of public confidence.
As travel comes back, travelers’ desires have become more demanding.
With new trends in tourism demand and the need for more sustainable practices, the time has come to rethink the business model. Travelers want to leave less of a negative footprint and be more respectful of the environment and society.
2022 harbors hope of bringing travel back to the forefront of our minds and plans
More vaccines and relaxation of travel protocols means 2022 is set to be a great year for tourism.
Despite this, more international coordination is still needed to homogenize protocols at airports. We also need higher adoption rates of vaccines for the safety of travelers.
Criteria: how did we choose the following travel programs?
We based our criteria on tourism trends moving towards 2022, those being safety, sustainability, value for money and a desire to be surprised after being unable to travel for so long.
With growing world climate problems travelers are more and more aware of other cultures and their social and climate issues. People are looking toward travel destinations with tour agencies and operators which follow social and environmental best practices. Governments know this, and begin to fund and implement sustainable practices in their local communities. Particularly local governments where tourism is an essential economic pillar.
Value for money
It’s still too early to say that travel has risen in price after the pandemic. Some factors have had an impact however, and bankruptcy of several airlines has reduced supply. There is therefore less competition. Despite no significant drop in pricing, there have been occasional offers. Always scheduling air travel in advance is a good technique to get good prices. Airlines allow a flexible cancellation policy of up to a 100% refund if you cancel 60 days in advance. We’ve taken value for money into account for the most desirable destinations in 2022.
Health & safety is among every traveler’s greatest concerns which is why all of the destinations chosen on this list have taken significant measures to look after both locals and tourists. Bonus points for early vaccine distribution, stringent local sanitary protocols, and great weather that favors outdoor activities.
Exclusive and unusual
People are looking for the out of the ordinary to delight their five senses, from the strange and unknown, to less overwhelmed and off-the-beaten-track spots that many tourists are yet to discover.
25 exclusive (post-COVID) programs you can’t miss in 2022
10-Day Program in Mozambique: Culture, Bush & Beach
- Localización: Southern Africa
- Reasons: Mozambique has become a sustainable destination par excellence. With a wide network of natural reserves, it’s a very diverse destination where tourist activity is respectful of locals. Touristic activity contributes to job creation in rural and indigenous communities. Women, in particular, participate in the local economy.
Croatia Island Express: 6-Day Tour
- Locations: Croatia, Eastern Europe
- Reasons: Unusual and unknown. Tourism continues to expand rapidly thanks to exposure from the Game of Thrones series. It is the pearl of the Adriatic, with natural and cultural treasures on a par with those of Old Italy.
Costa Rica Circuit Travel Pass
- Locations: Central America, Caribbean Sea
- Reasons: Those looking to travel sustainably will also be pleased to see Costa Rica’s progress. A world leader in conservation and sustainability, it runs on 99.5% clean, renewable energy, and plans to achieve complete decarbonization by 2050.
Glacier bay national park adventure cruise
- Locations: Northwest North America
- Reasons: Alaska was the first U.S. state to distribute vaccines to its population without any restrictions. They also offer free vaccines to travelers arriving at their airports. Alaska is an uncrowded destination, where you can enjoy the glaciers, wildlife, and pristine rivers in complete safety.
4-Day Las Vegas and West Deserts Tour from Los Angeles
- Locations: Southwestern USA
- Reasons: For being an unusual destination that must be seen once in a lifetime; it’s one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The landscape of its geological forms is full of reddish colors. It has one of the cleanest starry nights in the world, and its mixture of Hispanic-Mexican and indigenous culture make it a firm favorite.
The Best of Seville: Culture, Art, and History
- Locations: Southern Spain
- Reasons: September 2022 marks the 500th anniversary of the Magellan-El Cano Expedition. It was the first round-the-world trip and its departure and arrival were from the port of Seville. An extraordinary and unrepeatable reason to travel to Seville this 2022.
- Locations: Southeast Asia
- Reasons: Meets all the criteria mentioned in this article. An unusual destination that favors sustainable tourism; unbeatable value for money and a safe destination. Nature, animal reserves, vegetation, and local life await you.
Norwegian Fjords Explorer
- Locations: Northern Europe
- Reasons: A destination that leads the way in practices to fight climate change. It promotes the use of electric transport, sustainable hotels, and the use of green energy. Norway has become a model to follow, making it a top destination for 2022.
MOROCCO – Casablanca to Chefchaouen
- Locations: Northern Africa
- Reasons: It has an efficient vaccination plan. Morocco has come to be recognized as one of the safest destinations according to the WHO and Oxford University. It’s also, good value for money, offering a very intense cultural experience in the East at low cost.
Glacier and Coastal Wonder 8 Days
- Locations: Southeast Australian continent
- Reasons: Thanks to its isolated location and effective government measures. New Zealand has managed to maintain some of the lowest rates of Coronavirus in the world. Possibly the safest destination for travel this 2022.
Discover the Exotic Beauty of Saint Lucia
- Locations: Caribbean Sea
- Reasons: If you are looking for tranquility and relaxation in a natural environment, look no further than the island of St. Lucia. Safety and excellent value for money. Good weather, dreamlike natural landscapes, gastronomy, and the enjoyment of the Caribbean Sea. An all-inclusive that will help you disconnect.
- Locations: Caribbean Sea
- Reasons: Unusual. Perhaps one of the most extraordinary places on the planet. For being sustainable, perhaps out of necessity rather than conscience. The reality is that Cuba is a destination that could not be left off this list.
The Enchanting Rockies and Alaska Cruise
- Locations: Canada
- Reasons: Canada is a benchmark in sustainability. They have virgin territories and the government takes advantage of it. A sustainable model with the preservation of its natural space and promotion, and of course, the protection of its indigenous culture.
The Essence of Hong Kong
- Locations: Southeast coast of China
- Reasons: A rapid post-pandemic recovery in Asian countries has made China one of the safest destinations for travel. This opportunity to tour one of the most bustling and energetic cities in the world should be seized.
- Locations: Northwest Africa
- Reasons: For unusual reasons. Egypt bets big on 2021, the year in which the Grand Egyptian Museum opened. A highly-awaited event that shows off the largest archaeological collection in the world, with pieces from ancient Egypt, from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo and other renowned institutions. Another important criterion to take into account: excellent value for money.
Slovenia Cycling Tours & Walking Holidays
- Locations: Central Europe
- Reasons: It’s Europe’s number one destination for sustainability. It has achieved the best results in the Green Deal, thanks to its high number of protected areas, both terrestrial and marine.
Classic Inca Trail
- Locations: Peru, South América
- Reasons: Many know of its ‘unusualness’, not only because of the variety of ecosystems, from deserts to the most impressive peaks, but also for its abundant nature and variety of contrasts that you can see from the Inca Trail.
- Locations: Southern Italy
- Reasons: For its excellent value for money. It offers cultural, natural, heritage, and above all gastronomic richness. All at an affordable price compared to its Italian neighbors. An easy inclusion for us.
Great Bear Rainforest
- Locations: Vancouver, Canada
- Reasons: There are few places like this on earth; wild and remote, and of course exceptional. It is one of the least traveled destinations and has many outdoor experiences. One of the safe destinations to travel to this 2022. An opportunity to observe wild species in their natural habitat as is the case of the great black bear.
The Sea Islands Value Tour 2022
- Locations: South Carolina’s historic Sea Islands
- Reasons: Several criteria made us choose this unusual route along the South Carolina coast. Because it’s a very cheap destination compared to other destinations in the area. This little-known and unusual destination will surprise you.
Puerto Rico contemporáneo: la visión de una mujer
- Locations: Caribbean Sea
- Reasons: It is a fashionable destination. It stands out for its sustainability and good prices. In particular, we would like to highlight the progress made in recent times for the position of women in society; they are increasingly present in the island’s economy.
- Locations: Off East Africa
- Reasons: It is a sustainable paradise at the heart of the Indian Ocean. More than 40% of its territory remains declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. An ecological destination that you must visit.
The Best of Bhutan
- Locations: Off East Africa
- Reasons: We love sustainable destinations, so Bhutan cannot be left out of your travel plans. In Bhutan, they do not measure Gross Domestic Product. They measure Gross Domestic Happiness, their value to measure the development of the country. Its inhabitants are the most environmentally conscious in the world.
African Journey with Chobe Water Villas
- Locations: South Africa
- Reasons: Wild Africa. Always unusual. A destination we never tire of. Wildlife and natural reserves always surprise us. No doubt, an exclusive destination.
Journey to the Promised Land
- Locations: Middle East
- Reasons: The Middle East is a destination that always attracts our curiosity. Complex but full of cultural richness. It will always be an unusual and extraordinary place.
And we come to the end of our list. All of our destinations respect sustainable criteria, as it’s the way forward for the industry and an essential pilar of every travel business. For travelers we’ve included options for safety and, of course, unique experiences.
Browse our Programs
Alandis Travel is an exclusively wholesale B2B tour operator. For Spanish-speaking destinations around the globe, such as España, Cuba, Puerto Rico & more. If you are looking to extend your portfolio with exclusive programs, find out why Alandis Travel is the right travel partner for your agency.